WHAT IS FYR?
Forging Youth Resilience (FYR) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that empowers young people to build physical and mental strength for life by providing access to a network of community-based fitness programs and mentorship.
We use fitness to teach imperative life skills like perseverance, grit, determination, resilience, and confidence through teamwork, leadership, and goal setting to prepare our athletes to face the challenges life throws their way with grace, maturity, and strength.
FYR empowers young people to build physical and mental strength for life by providing access to a network of community-based fitness programs and mentorship.
A world where all young people feel strong, capable, and confident to become the best version of themselves.
All FYR athletes, coaches, and volunteers strive to live by our GRIT values. We use them to guide our actions and create the positive environment we envision.
Growth – Rebound from challenges, keep learning, and strive to be your best
Respect – Treat everyone well, value and accept yourself and others where they are
Integrity – Do the right thing, commit to excellence, and be a role model for others
Teamwork – Encourage and motivate others, collaborate, and give back
WHO DO WE SERVE?
FYR serves youth who are facing one or more of the following challenges who would not otherwise have access to the services we provide:
- Youth coming from under-resourced families or neighborhoods
- Youth out-of-school, including youth out-of-school facing unemployment
- Youth in or aging out of foster care
- Youth experiencing homelessness
- Youth who may need an alternative pathway educational environment (at-risk to leave secondary school without a diploma)
- Youth who are involved in the justice system
- Youth experiencing environmental factors that put their health, safety, and well-being at risk
- Youth facing socio-emotional challenges exacerbated by being part of an under-resourced environment
WHY DO WE EXIST?
We believe in the next generation and their potential to change the world. Yet many youth do not have the same access to resources as others. Without access to resources, it’s often hard to see the bigger picture or the path forward.
By providing a critical network of support and imperative skills, we help empower our athletes to tackle the challenges and continued barriers they face outside of our program. Through a foundation of functional fitness and strength training, we open their eyes to new perspectives by challenging their limits. We support them in setting goals and breaking them.
Most importantly, we help them realize they are strong and capable while giving them the confidence to grow into adulthood.