A lack of confidence can affect every area of your life, from your job performance to your
personal relationships. In reality, how you perceive yourself has a powerful impact
on how others treat you.
Some factors in bolstering self-confidence may be beyond your control, but there are some
very tangible things that you can do as well. Using these tips will help you reach your full
potential as a successful and confident person.
1. Dress confidently. Dress like the person you want to be and you’ll feel yourself
become that person. When you look good, you’ll feel good. Now, this doesn’t mean
that you have to go out and spend a fortune on clothes. It’s better to buy a few really
nice pieces than a bunch of cheap ones.
2. Walk faster. People who walk confidently keep a brisk pace because they have
things to do and places to be. Simply quickening your step will help you feel more
3. Keep good posture. People can tell a lot about you by the way you carry yourself. If
you have slumped shoulders and cannot look people in the eye, you’ll leave a
negative impression on them. Keep your head up, make eye contact with others, and
stand up straight and tall. You have nothing to hide.
4. Be grateful. Gratitude creates a state of peace in the body. A peaceful mind radiates
confidence. Make a list of the things you appreciate about yourself and be grateful for
your past successes. Tell those you love how much you appreciate them being in your
5. Compliment others. In addition to showing appreciation for what you have, it’s also
important to show others your appreciation. If you think negatively about yourself,
then you’ll have a tendency to criticize others. Break this habit by praising others on a
daily basis. Seeing the best in others will bring out the best in you.
6. Give back. Contributing to the success of others will not only help you feel better
about yourself, but karma will reward you in the end. What goes around comes
around, right? Volunteer your time to help those in need or make a monetary
contribution to your favorite local charity.
7. Don’t be afraid to speak up. Many people keep quiet for fear of saying something
silly. Taking an active role in discussions will distinguish you as a leader amongst your
peers. They will quickly recognize that you have confidence and plenty to offer.
8. Exercise regularly. If you work hard to create a better physical image, you’ll not only
be healthier, but you’ll also have more energy. Both of these things will contribute to
your self-confidence, as will the compliments you’ll receive.
9. Sit in the front row. Most of us have a tendency to try to blend into the back of the
room somewhere. We don’t like being noticed. Confident people sit up front where
they can take part in discussions without fear.
10. Take a chance and try something new. Learning a new hobby or activity will
broaden your horizons and help you feel alive. Anytime you spend stretching your
mind improves your overall self-confidence.
The more self-confidence you build in yourself, the more likely you’ll be to succeed. No
matter what task you choose to conquer, you’ll do so with enthusiasm. Any setbacks you
encounter won’t bother you because you’ll have the confidence necessary to continue.
Those who are insecure often find life to be a struggle, but with self-confidence, you can
find it to be a joy. Why suffer when you can soar!